Whether having a party in the backyard of your house or on a camping trip, many people enjoy listening to music. It’s a great way to entertain a group of family or friends. The radio has been providing such entertainment since the early 1900’s Smartphones have certainly replaced a lot of our technology today, including: payphones, cameras, alarm clocks, gps navigation etc.
The list goes on and on. The great thing about AM/FM radios is there reliability. When your power goes out and you have no connection to the internet, or cell phone towers are down your AM/FM still works. That is the first great reason to own an AM/FM radio.
There are so many choices when it comes to AM/FM radios, so how do I choose the right one? The market comprises of various options, and the number is only increasing. With that in mind, it can be difficult to choose the correct AM/FM radio, so we have reviewed several AM/FM radios to help you in your decision on purchasing the right one for you. Let’s get started!
Compare Specs The Best Portable AM FM Radios 2021
Panasonic RF-2400D RadioCheck Price On Amazon
|Features: FM 87 to 108MHz, AM 520 to 1730kHz, Battery & AC Power, 4″ Speaker, Earphone Jack|
Retekess V115 RadioCheck Price On Amazon
|Features: 1000mAh Rechargeable Battery, AM/FM/SW, MP3 Player, Recording, Micro SD/TF card|
CC Skywave AM FM RadioCheck Price On Amazon
|Features: AM/FM/SW/Weather/Airband, LCD Display, 400 Memory Presets, Signal Meter, Battery & AC Power|
Sangean PR-D5BK RadioCheck Price On Amazon
|Features: 200mm Ferrite AM Antenna Bar, Adjustable Telescopic FM Antenna, 10 Preset Stations, Aux-In connection|
What Are The Benefits Of AM FM Radios?
A portable radio allows each of us entertainment whenever, wherever. Whether it’s morning talk radio, sports radio, music, or connecting your own portable device. We have found that AM FM radios have many uses and we think they can be taken pretty much anywhere!
- Carry it anywhere
The portable radio is much more compact in this day and age that it can easily be taken anywhere you’d like. You can take it on a camping trip, or to the beach. The opportunities are endless, especially when the radio relies on batteries to operate.
- Headphones port
It is easy to plug headphones in your portable AM FM radio, which makes it great for you to bring music to your ears. With the headphone jack option, you can play your AM FM radio without disturbing anyone else around you.
- Connect with every device
Many radios have a Bluetooth option that will connect with Android and Apple devices. Instead of only having the option of listening to AM or FM radio, by connecting your phone you now have access to your favorite podcasts or music playlist!
Which Are The Best Portable AM FM Radios?
No matter your reason for using a portable AM FM radio, we have your best interest in mind. We understand the importance of a high quality, light weight, portable radio. That’s why we have compiled a list of the highest reviewed radios from Amazon. With over thousands of reviews you’re sure to find the right one for your needs.
1. Retekess TR604 AM FM Radio, Portable Radios with Best Reception
When listening to the Retekess TR604 AM FM Radio pull out the 24 inch antenna for the best reception while on FM. While listening to AM, make sure to stay clear of nearby appliances as we noticed it creates a little bit of interfering static. Listed under $40 we find this to be a great “bang” for the buck radio.
This radio has enough power to fill the entire room with sound, boasting a 3.5 inch 6 ohm 2W speaker. A great option for those that are hard of hearing. This portable radio is a crowd favorite with over 3,000 4.5 star reviews.
Easy to carry and store while around the house. The Retekess radio is small in size with a large volume and tuning knob, which allows for better visibility when trying to find your favorite station. It is comes equipped with a 50ft AC power cord allowing you a lot room to run the cord for playback options. An option to run on strictly three D batteries is also a nice feature of this radio.
- Offers radio and MIC recording
- The FM frequency is 87-108 MHz, and the AM frequency is 522-1710 kHz.
- Supports various radio stations
- Features a 3.5 inch 6 ohm 2W speaker
- Comprises telescopic antenna
- Supports the option of Micro USB charging
- Supports 60 AM, 80 FM, and 300 SW stations
- Comes equipped with a 50ft long AC power cord
- The best thing is the earphone jack which is included
2. Panasonic Portable AM / FM Radio, Battery Operated Analog Radio
The Panasonic Radio is user friendly. It has an easy to use interface, compiled of one left to right slide button for on/off and a band option for selecting AM or FM. On the right hand side of the radio it boats a rather large tuning dial to go along with the fluorescent pointer, making it a breeze to find your favorite channel. This radio is earphone/headphone jack compatible, so you can listen to privately.
Go off the grid with this compact radio. No electricity? No problem. Take a chance to utilize the battery power option. Just four AA batteries are needed in order to power the radio. The perfect option for camping trips, or power outages. With this radio you will always have access to the outside world.
- The powerful sound can be expected from its 10CM speaker
- Both AM and FM bands are supported
- The compact size 234x122x82mm can be carried anywhere
- Headphone jack of 3.5 mm
- The FM range is 88 to 109 MHz
- The antenna of the device offers the best sound effects
- The AM range is 520 to 1730 kHz
3. Sangean PR-D5BK
The Sangean AM FM Portable Radio boasts a 200mm ferrite AM antenna which allows for the best AM reception. 10 preset stations are also available on this Sangean radio. Five FM stations and five AM stations available for preset.
The portable radio is available in two colors, white and black. Say goodbye to terrible static reception. This radio comes equipped with a PLL (phase locked loop) which enhances radio frequency with synthesized tuning, eliminating static and bad reception. PLL also enhances stereo audio performance allowing crystal clear sound to come through your speakers.
Easy to read LCD screen display which offers a backlight for visibility in the dark. There is also a battery life indicator which will alert you to change the batteries or switch back to AC power cord. Additionally if talking about the side panels of the radio, there is the volume and tuning knob on the right side of the radio. On the left side of the radio you will find your earphone jack and power cord adapter.
- Battery indicator and sleep timer
- 5 AM and 5 FM stations
- Dual 2.5 headphone jack and speakers
- AUX can be used as a stereo system
- PLL tuning for best reception
- Comprises 6 “C” cell batteries and AC adapter
- A humane wake system buzzer
4. C Crane CC Skywave AM, FM, Shortwave, Portable Radio with Clock and Alarm
Similar to the Retekess radio, the C Crane CC Skywave AM, FM, Shortwave, Portable Radio with Clock and Alarm is small and light weight, making it the perfect option if you are in the market for a portable radio.
The radio has a large LCD lighted display, direct-entry keypad, so all working and necessary buttons are laid out on the front of the radio. The power on/off button is a nice bright red color, making it easy to locate. On the right side of the radio is a large knob where tuning your favorite station would take place, along with the volume adjuster placed directly underneath the tuning knob.
The portable radio supports airband, weather, and shortwave options. Airband is the name for a group of frequencies which is allocated toward radio communication such as, air traffic control. As a bonus, you also get the option of an alarm system and clock radio. The display buttons on the front of the radio make programming your favorite stations a breeze. One click of a button and you are back to your favorite station. This radio also has a built in auto scan option if you ever become tired of manually flipping through stations.
- Sleep timer and clock radio with alarm
- The design is lightweight
- Rotary know where volume can be adjusted
- Lighted LCD
- Stereo headphone jack
- Supports shortwave/FM/AM/airband travel/weather
- It has a time frame of 60-70 hours running on a normal volume
- 400 memory presets
- The packaging comprises earbuds, a fold-out back stand, and a carry case
5. Retekess V115 Shortwave Radio, AM FM Digital Radio, Rechargeable
The Retekess V115 Shortwave Radio is known for it’s sleek design and it’s compact size. With being less than 4 inches in height and less than 5 inches in length, it is known for having the capability of fitting inside of a shirt pocket. Now that’s compact. This allows for a great travel, portable radio. Take it literally every where you go. All buttons for presetting your favorite stations are situated on the front of the radio.
Unlike the above radios listed, this radio has MIC recording and in line recording. Simply insert the TF (trans flash) card to start recording your voice or record the live radio. The TF card is not included in the sale of the radio. You can purchase a TF card from Amazon that will store your recordings. This TF memory card has over 70,000 4.5 star reviews.
This radio is a great option for bilingual individuals as it has four languages built into it. English, Chinese, Spanish, and Russian. FM reception is best. We found that SW reception came in best at night or when used with an external antenna. AM reception can become interrupted if near too many electrical appliances.
- As the tuning can be done easily, it has a large visual dial
- The telescopic antenna is 23.6 inches long
- Works on 3x D batteries or AC
- It can be handled comfortably anywhere you want
- The knobs can be used easily
- The earphone jack is 3.5mm
- The device weighs only 746g and has a size of 220x145x62 mm
- The frequency of AM is 520-1710 KHz and FM is 87-108 MHz.
6. NOAA Weather Radio
NOAA Weather Radio is yet another radio known for being small and compact. Available in silver, this radio is called the life saver radio. Be the first in your area to be notified of local weather alerts. If you are in an area know for seasonal hurricanes, tornadoes, or severe weather conditions, this radio could play a crucial role in protecting you or your family. Give yourself an extra layer of comfort knowing what weather could be headed your way next.
Vondior, the manufacturer of this radio is responsible for assisting more than 150,000 civilians in the United States to survive through hurricane season and the bitter cold snowstorm season. Vondior backs this radio with a 3 year warranty. Customer service is also available 24/7 for NOAA radio owners.
Powered by two AA batteries makes operating this radio convenient, allowing to stay up to date on your local weather reports. Your tuning dial is on the right side of the radio, along with your on/off switch located directly underneath. With only one tuning dial and one on/off switch, this functionality is highly desirable and a good option for all age groups.
- SOS alarm for emergency help
- Supports NOAA weather alert and AM/FM option
- Only two buttons to control
- Guaranteed 3 year warranty
- Small and compact
7. Sangean PR-D7 BK AM/FM Digital Rechargeable Portable Radio
The Sangean AM/FM Digital Rechargeable Portable Radio offers a great layout with all of it’s buttons evenly spaced, providing an easy on the eye experience. The on/off button is easily accessible as it’s the only button that is colored red. Sick of manually trying to find your favorite stations? Use the preset option and go from station to station with the click of a button. This radio also includes an auto seek station feature.
Reviewed over 2,000 times with an impressive 4.5 star rating from Amazon shoppers. This radio is battery operated only. Additionally, there is a tuning system with PLL synthesized where the frequency can be controlled easily and the sound is in turn, crystal clear.
- PLL synthesized tuning system
- Comes in white and black color
- Comprises 10 preset memory stations
- Alarm option by HWS buzzer or radio
- The backlit LCD on the front of the radio
- Battery system which can easily be recharged
- The AC adapter of 100-240V, 50/60Hz can be switched
- How To Listen To Radio On Iphone?
- Is Tune In Radio Free?
- Portable Radio with Best Sound
- How To Get Fm Radio On Iphone?
- How To Listen To Radio On Iphone Without Using Data?
- How To Listen To Thousands Of Radio Stations Worldwide For Free?
- Can You Listen To Shortwave Radio Online? What You Should Know About Online Shortwave Radio
- How Do I Delete Recents On Tunein Radio?
- How To Play Fm Radio On Iphone?
- Integrating Philips Somneo Sleep To Android Phone?