A digital television adapter (DTA), most commonly known for a converter box or a decoder box, is a television tuner that receives a digital television (DTV) transmission, and converts the digital signal into an analog signal that can be received and displayed on an analog television set.
A TV converter box allows a device that is not cable ready to receive cable channels. This makes TV converter boxes a great option for people that don’t currently have an up to date television set. It’s also a great alternative to paying an arm and a leg for your favorite shows through those pricey cable service providers.
We love the option of TV converter boxes as they offer a lot of flexibility for TV broadcasting. Being locked into an annual contract just to watch your favorite TV shows can often be a headache. Make sure to select a converter box that is compatible with both recorded and live programming. This will also provide a higher quality play back image on your TV set for a more enjoyable watching experience.
The Best Rated TV Converter Boxes
Top 10 Best TV Converter Box Reviews
1. UBISHENG U-003 Digital TV Converter Box
The Ubisheng U-003 Digital Converter Kit comes with many features, such as a built-in media player. With a built in media player you can view videos and photos via a USB connection. Our favorite feature is the built-in recording feature, which allows you to record and playback TV programs. Never miss your favorite show or movie ever again!
You can now receive digital channels on your analog TV. This converter TV box comes equipped with four audio and video outputs to choose from. These include: RF, HDMI 1080P, composite, and coaxial outputs. This gives you the versatility to connect to your TV, laptop, projector etc. If you’re in need of the best HDMI cable please see our best HDMI cables here.
Compatible with a wide range of major TV manufacturers such as, LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Philips, Vizio etc. This Ubisheng converter box also comes with an RF output, which allows an additional set top box to a single antenna.
Parental control is also another great feature. If you have children or young ones in your household you can protect and lock any access to certain shows or movies that you deem inappropriate.
Video recording and playback are enabled via a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 connection and an external hard drive or flash drive. A converter box is an excellent option with its crisp 1080P output, and adjusting the picture for different sizes (such as 16: 9 Pillar Box, 4: 3 Pan G Scan) becomes easy. It is an excellent option for home theater installations and those looking for the best possible picture.
- Compatibility: the digital converter is compatible with different TV brands, including Philips, Sony, LG, Samsung, and more. Additionally, it has a DVR function for you to record your favorite shows.
- Multimedia player: it allows you to view photos, play music files and view movies. You can also record TV shows on a USB hard drive and playback them on your computer or TV.
- Easy to install: with this device, you can connect it to your TV by Coaxial, composite, or HDMI. You can install it in a minute.
- Supports 1080p resolution
- Compatible with multiple file formats
- Built-in recording feature
- Connects with multiple devices such as PVR recording, parental control, and more
- Has no instruction guide
2. KORAMZI CB-100 HDTV Digital TV Converter Box
The CB-100 supports a full HD 1080p display. In terms of the recording option, the device features a built in USB external hard drive. You will enjoy an aspect ratio of 4:3 and 16:9 auto, and a manual scan will find all digital channels that are available to you. Additionally, it also has an electronic program guide that displays the shows run time, the current show, description, and shows that are scheduled to come next – talk about convenience!
This conversion box by Koramzi has some great features, including closed captions, auto-tuning function, parental control features, recording PVR, and a list of favorite channels. No need to worry about a blackout; this device saves settings and comes equipped with built in volume controls.
- USB port: you can connect any USB storage device to record TV programs. Plus, it gives you the option to pause the live stream. The same storage device can also play multimedia files such as movies, photos, and music.
- Output options and power-saving feature: it supports HDMI, composite output as well as coaxial output. As for the power-saving features, this proposal has an automatic shutdown and timer activation function.
- Extra features: If you only want to view a few channels, you will love the ability of this converter to create a list of your favorite channels. You will also receive a detailed program guide thanks to the electronic program guide.
- Supports Full HD 1080p output
- Comes with a built-in USB port
- Electronic program guide support
- Additional features include a program guide, closed caption, parental control guide.
- Programming guides tend to be buggy
3. Five Star ATSC HD Digital TV Converter Box
If you don’t need a fancy box—just something that you can easily perch on your stand and that promises high-end functionality, Five Star ATSC will do just the trick. This TV converter box is slim fit and compact, making it easy to set up and store. It also comes standard with grooves on both sides that ensure an easy grip for transporting purposes.
Take advantage of the electronic program guide (EPG) so you can monitor what shows are currently playing and what shows are up next. With Five Star you’ll never miss your favorite show ever again. Record your TV programs live to watch at a more convenient time. You also have the option to plugin your hard drive and gain access to your favorite movies or listen to any music you may have stored there.
This box also supports external hard drives and flash disks. And with storage of more than 500GB, this converter box can be your alternative storage unit for your media files, images, and recording. It has parental control set up, favorite channel list function, program guide, full 1080p resolution support, and PC monitor compatibility.
- ATSC feature: This unit uses ATSC to receive local broadcast signals, which means you will need an antenna installed to use this converter unit.
- USB port: There is also a USB port here, allowing you to connect hard drives or other devices for recording TV programs.
- Electronic program guide: It has an electronic program guide to help you get started with what’s next on your favorite channels, as well as the ability to display a list of your favorite channels.
- Good for both analog and digital TV
- Crisp images at 1080p resolutions
- The software doesn’t lag even after an update
- Some audio pass-through
4. KORAMZI CB-107 HDTV Digital TV Converter Box
You will need a converter with broad compatibility and connectivity options if you combine old and new devices. KORAMZI HDTV Digital Converter supports outputs from 480 to 1080p and several different picture formats (4: 3 and 16: 9). The built-in HDMI connection allows users to send the signal from the device to many types of displays. In other words, this unit isn’t just limited to analog TVs – it can also connect to computer monitors and still offer a full range of features.
Speaking of features, the box converter TV offers a solid set of features for its budget price. There are settings for parental controls and closed captioning, as well as a program guide so you can see what’s currently playing and what shows or movies are scheduled next.
Another wonderful option worth mentioning is the record option. See a show or movie you can’t afford to miss? Not to worry, just schedule a recording and come back to it at a later, more convenient time.
This converter box supports up to 1 TB of external hard drives. With the external hard drive plugin option you can watch any shows, movies, or listen to any music files you may have stored there.
- TV tuner: It comes with a TV tuner, so you can start using your TV converter the moment you turn it on. It also supports closed captioning if you have enabled it for a specific program.
- HDMI output: Features an HDMI output to improve the video quality dramatically (if your TV supports it). This digitizer is equipped with one USB port for a flash drive or external hard drive. With this feature, users can record any length from their TVs as long as the device they are using has enough memory.
- Compatibility: The manufacturer mentions that this converter is compatible with ATSC signals, making it an ideal converter for analog TV. There is support for closed captioning, as well as a handy parental control function. This converter comes with a universal remote control, making life much easier for viewers.
- Supports 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p
- Supports closed captioning
- It has a program guide, parental control setting, and favorites lists
- Supports multiple file formats
- It has a fantastic set of features.
- Clunky operating system
- The remote is narrow hence being uncomfortable to operate.
5. NUNET TV Converter Box
This Nunet TV converter box can receive ATSC signals from all directions. Additionally, it comes with HDMI, composite, RF coaxial, and RCA output, making it compatible with almost any screen, including LCD monitors and projectors.
Have to leave the house and afraid you’re going to miss your favorite show or movie? Well, you’re in luck. Just press the record or pause button and you can easily leave off where you last ended. You even have the option to schedule recordings for future shows and movies.
A USB port is also available on this ATSC digital TV box, which can support regular flash drives or external hard drives of your choice. External plugin capabilities gives you the option to play any show or movies that you have stored. This is a great way to add your own customized touch to your TV converter box and allows you to watch what you want, when you want – how convenient.
Once configured, this digital conversion unit can automatically search for channels available in your area (assuming you have a compatible antenna), which is handy. The manufacturer notes that this converter supports formats such as DivX, FLV, MPEG-4, MOV, and VC-1.
This TV converter box is a good option if you have kids in your household, as it comes equipped with a decent set of parental controls installed. In addition, buyers will also find this converter is compatible with the ability to display a list of their favorite channels with the touch of a button on the supplied remote. This unit also has several hardware buttons, although most of its functions can be controlled with just the remote control.
- Resolution: it features a set with an HDMI that helps you achieve crystal clear videos and images at 1080p resolution.
- Output: The audio output supports jack input and relays sounds that will appeal to your eyes. It also supports USB and external disc drives to help you get the most out of your experience.
- Additional features: You can also play an electronic program guide (EPG) and set the favorite channel list. You’ll find a sleek remote control in the package with buttons that are easy to use even among children.
- Easy to set up
- Durable and attractive design
- Compatible with most TVs
- It comes with an antenna and amplifier
- Small remote buttons
6. UBISHENG U-008 Digital TV Converter Box
Like other converters, this UBISHENG converter box has various output options, including RF, HDMI, coaxial, and RCA outputs. It effectively allows the user to connect the digitizer to a computer, TV, projector, or any device that has the respective outputs listed above. In terms of basic functions, this converter can accept ATSC digital TV signals.
As you would expect from a modern TV converter, this offering comes with a USB port with support for media formats such as AAC, MP3, WMA, AVI, MOV, MKV, JPEG, and MP4. Additionally, it recommends using an external hard drive instead of a USB cable for better recording.
Like other digital best TV converter boxes, UBISHENG also has a favorite channel list function, accompanied by parental control.
By default, video is recorded in MTS format, and about an hour of recording can take up to 5 GB of space. The additional features, including low power mode and closed-captioning, make it one of the best digital converters out there. A remote for the converter box is also included. Along with output cables, so you can get started watching your shows and movies right after you complete set up of your new converter box.
- USB port: The presence of a USB port helps to use it for recording TV shows. To do this, users can use an external hard drive or flash drive. In addition, customers can use flash drives to play multimedia content on their TVs.
- Wide range of output options: This product comes with HDMI, RCA, coaxial, and RF output for maximum flexibility in terms of output options.
- Additional features: This converter also includes a decent remote control. In addition, customers will also find parental controls, which are a prerequisite for modern digital converters.
- Many crystal clear stations
- Compact design that sits nicely on the counters
- Cheap with good value for the buck
- The DVR recorder displays pixelated videos when used with some flat-screens
7. ZJBOX Digital TV Converter Box
If easy configuration and automatic technical support are your priority, then buying something with real-time software upgrades is most likely the best TV converter box for you. Introducing the ZJBOX. This TV converter box, which broadcasts local channels, includes automatic software updates straight to your converter box. What’s worse than your converter box all of a sudden not working properly all because of a software update? No more worrying about having to check manually for updates. The ZJBOX automatically updates itself when a new version becomes available.
Connect this box to your TV through either HDMI, composite, or Coaxial ports, and it will capture and display all of the local channels your antenna is capable of capturing. You can expect full 1080p output resolution. The ZJBOX also provides the option to record your favorite shows and movies on your USB storage device.
You can use the remote control to set other outstanding functions such as close captions, favorite channel list, parental guide, emergency system alert, real-time/scheduled recording, and much more. Even with its seemingly bigger size, this box weighs only 1.09 pounds. You can easily transport it when moving in or out. Additionally, it’s glamour is sealed in the aesthetically pleasing and compact packaging. It makes a special gift for occasions such as weddings, father’s or mother’s days, or even a Birthday gift.
- USB: the device comes equipped with a USB storage device that allows you to record TV shows and watch later.
- Full HD: the digital TV converter has 1080p output resolution, enabling you to watch and record shows in full HD quality.
- TV recording function: the feature allows you to record TV shows on a USB storage drive and playback them on your computers or TV.
- Lower power consumption
- Versatile for use with monitors, projectors, analog, and digital TVs
- Play videos in almost all formats
- Quick start buttons and remote control programming
- The internal power supply can fry off quickly when the power surges.
8. eXuby Digital TV Converter Box
This eXuby converter is compatible with a wide range of TVs, projectors, laptops, conventional tube TVs, and LCDs. Making this converter box a very flexible option. Compatible with most devices on todays market. In terms of output options, customers can choose between RCA, HDMI, Coaxial, and Component outputs.
Like most of the TV converter box options in our buyers guide, this eXuby converter box also has USB recording capability. This gives the user the option to pause and record shows and movies and play them back at any time. Watch in full 1080p resolution, with an option for resolution in 1080i, 720p, and 576p. Take advantage of the electronic program guide (EPG) and keep track of what shows and movies are up next.
You also have the option to use the converter boxes external hard drives or flash drives to record TV programs. This also means that you can use your old TV as a media player if you have movies or music preloaded on your hard drive or flash drive. This converter comes with an electronic program guide installed to automatically provide you with a schedule for all programs for up to 7 days.
To make things easier, the device comes with a flat antenna and an HDMI cable. After a few cable connections and plugins are made, you’ll be up and running in no time. Just connect and watch! This converter/tuner can automatically find the channels broadcasted in your area. Users with children in the household will appreciate the parental controls on the Exuby Digital Converter Box.
- Captures up to 250 channels: When you plug the coaxial cable, the box effortlessly captures up to 250 channels and loads the channel list within a few seconds. Even better, it receives both analog and digital channels, so you can be sure to use any TV.
- Compatibility: It’s also compatible with TV monitors, projectors, laptops, and HDTVs. The program-timed auto-record function in this device is way more functional.
- Recording rate: It allows you to record 16:9 pillar box, 16:9 pan, 4:3 letterbox, and 4:3 pan G scan. But when playing your favorite sports channel, the 16:widescreen will give you the best enjoyment ever.
- 1080p maximum resolution
- HDMI cable and antenna included
- High compatibility
- It is equipped with an Electronic Program Guide
- Signal drops sometimes
- Buggy software
9. RCA Digital TV Converter Box Remote Control
Looking for easy connectivity with little downtime to get right to your favorite shows and movies? The RCA DTA-800B1 is a great solution for your exact wants and needs.
This RCA converter box comes with an easy to use, big button universal remote. Connect your converter box remote to control your TV as well, so you can conveniently control your TV converter box and your TV. This will eliminate the headache of needing to operate two remotes. Have one universal remote for all settings and selections.
Connect this converter box to your existing TV using coaxial cable outputs and select the channel using CH3/CH4 switches. A coaxial cable is included in the purchase of this RCA converter box. This converter box conveniently receives over the air broadcasts and converts them to analog signals, which are then displayed onto your existing TV.
Storing new devices in your home can often be a concern. This RCA is very light weight as is – weighing just one pound. RCA specifically states that you can lay this TV converter box vertically or horizontally, which ever is most beneficial for you, but not to worry as hooking up such a device has never been easier. Simply plug in your antenna and connect to your TV and you will be up and running in no time.
- Universal remote: Use the RCA converter box remote to control your new converter box and also control your TV. Avoid the headache of having to control multiple devices with sepaerate remotes. The universal remote is compatible with most TV brands.
- Easy connectivity: All it takes is a couple connections and you’ll have access to your favorite shows and movies. Just plugin your antenna and connect it to your existing TV and you’ll be good to go!
- Lightweight and compact: Easily store your new converter box. This RCA box has the ability to be placed vertically or horizontally – display it whichever position is the most practical.
- Versatile for use with a range of devices
- Compact for easy storage
- Solid build for durability
- Front panel controls
- Convenient remote
- Amazing output quality
- Only coaxial cable is listed as a way to connect converter box
10. Channel Master CM-7000 Digital TV Converter Box
Channel Master CM-7000digital TV converter box supports closed captioning in multiple languages. This is a great option for any individuals that may be hearing-impaired. This converter is designed to work with analog TVs, but it can also work with modern TVs as long as they are compatible with HDMI outputs. However, it cannot decode the signal from the coaxial cable; it is not a replacement for the cable box.
Best picture quality has been awarded to this Channel Master converter box by a leading consumer testing agency. This converter box is a high quality digital ATSC high definition (HD) to standard definition (SD) TV converter box. This means it allows the user to watch digital broadcasting on analog TV.
The Channel Master has a USB flash drive option that allows for recording your favorite programs. Additionally, it allows you to play multimedia, including images, audio, and video files. The device comes with a converter, remote control, AV cable, and user manual.
- Electronic program guide: The converter box features the manual, which shows run time, displays descriptions, current show, and the upcoming programs.
- Closed caption (CC): This is a good option for users who take advantage of reading while they watch, or users who may be hearing impaired.
- Sound and picture clarity: the device shows clear pictures due to its high resolution. Besides, the sound is quite good, allowing you to listen as you watch the DVD.
- It’s a more powerful tv converter box for local channels
- Compact for easy storage
- The striking white body gives it an appealing design
- Some quality control issues when used with direct TV
How to Choose the Best TV Converter Box
First, the best version boxes for tv are not as complex as they seem. Yes, they provide digital signal conversion and many other features. Still, in general, they are simple devices, and once you understand what the most important aspects are, you can easily find what works best for you.
With resolution, it’s pretty simple. If your converter does not support, for example, Full HD, you will not be able to watch these channels at all, or you will be able to watch them in a lower resolution. It is essential to choose a converter that supports at least 1080p, which is the minimum today or 4K if possible.
More performance means more versatility. HDMI and composite connectors are some standards, and most modern TVs connect to a digital converter through them. While the vast majority of converters have these two, check them out before purchasing.
The best digital TV converter box will have many different outputs like coaxial, component, etc. As mentioned earlier, more connectors’ mean more options for you.
While the extra features themselves are not the most important, and you can live without them, the fact remains that their presence makes the device as a whole more valuable and attractive. For example, a media player, parental controls, or a digital voice recorder are not necessary but may turn out to be very convenient.
Additionally, it is good to think about which functions may be helpful and choose a best TV converter box.
Although some people don’t see the importance of the additional features the digital converters come with. They provide versatility and extra value to your watching experience. They include multimedia players, automatic recording, Electronic Program Guide, and parental control functions. You can consider a unit with these features for a great experience.
How do I convert my old TV to digital?
You need to place the converter underneath or near the analog TV and unplug both devices. Next, open the coaxial antenna wire from the TV port. Then plug the antenna wire into the port on the converter box. Plug the coaxial wire on the box into the “Out to TV” port on the converter box. Insert the other end into the “Antenna In” port on the TV.
Do you need an antenna with a converter box?
Yes. You need an antenna to use a converter box. Although there are many antennas that you can choose from, you need to ensure you can get a signal where you live.
Can I watch an analog TV without a converter box?
No. If you have an analog TV that doesn’t have a built-in digital tuner, you won’t be able to watch channels with just an antenna.
Can I get a free digital converter box?
If you are using an analog TV, it will not broadcast signals without getting a converter box. Unfortunately, there is no such program to receive a free TV converter box.
What does a converter box do?
A converter box is an electric device that converts the digital signal into an analog signal that can be used with an analog TV set. It allows analog devices to be able to receive digital signals from content providers.
Does a flat-screen TV need a converter box?
No. Since a flat-screen TV has a built-in converter that can handle digital transmissions. By connecting the converter to your TV, it will decrease the picture quality. Only use a converter box if your TV is analog.
Free-to-air TV is becoming popular, especially with high cable TV bills; if you are among the lucky ones and have a TV with a built-in ATSC tuner, the suitable antenna is all you need to enjoy free TV viewing fully.
On the other hand, if your TV is missing this part, you will also be forced to find yourself the best TV converter box, or at least one that meets most of your needs.
Fortunately, this purchase doesn’t strain your wallet too much, but it can be tricky, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the subject, so the guide will dispel your doubts and help you make the right decision.
- The 10 Best Digital Converter Boxes – Buying Guide
- How To Convert Mov To Mp4 On Iphone?
- What Are Cdda Files?
- How To Connect TV Antenna To Wi-Fi Router – Using Your Tv Antenna With Wi-Fi Internet
- The Best HDD Media Players
- How To Convert Iphone Video To Mp4?
- How To Resize Your Screen On Xbox?
- How Do I Set Up Freesat On My Lg Smart Tv?
- How To Play M4p On Android?
- What Is The Hopper Snap Usb Device?